Re: R: Linux kernel source archive vulnerable

From: David Wagner
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 17:36:56 EST

linux-os \(Dick Johnson\) wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, David Wagner wrote:
>> Just because it is a bug in tar doesn't mean that Linux developers have
>> to create their tarfile in a way that tickles the bug. Two wrongs don't
>> make a right.
>
>It's not a tar bug, [...]

You misunderstand my point. I don't care whether it is a tar bug or not.
I'm not claiming it is a tar bug. I'm saying that people on those threads
claimed that this is a tar bug and used that as an excuse to do nothing
about the problem of world-writeable files in the Linux tar archive.
I'm saying that's a lousy excuse. What I'm saying is that, even if we
accept that it is a tar bug, that's not a good excuse for doing nothing
about the problem. Of course, if it is not a tar bug, then that makes
it an even weaker excuse.