Re: OT: calling kernel syscall manually

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 13:53:39 EST

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 18:52 +0200, guest01 wrote:
> So these macros are no longer available in the latest kernel versions?
> Ok, if that's true, I will use the example with the inline assembler
> code and write a few lines, that these "macros" are no longer supported.

Yes, as part of the cleanups which accompanied the new 'make
headers_install' target for creating sanitised kernel headers, all of
the _syscallX() stuff was removed from user visibility.

Unfortunately, Linus subsequently applied a patch which was sent to him
privately without review on the mailing list, which reverted that fixup
and made _syscallX() visible in userspace again on a couple of
architectures. That regressions should hopefully be fixed again before
2.6.18 is finally released though -- and in fact we're probably going to
kill off _all_ use of _syscallX(), even in the kernel, before 2.6.19.

--
dwmw2