Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.18-rc6-mm1 (-mm2): ohci resume problem

From: Mattia Dongili
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 16:40:00 EST

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:38:35PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>
> > Well, I have reproduced it with gregkh-usb-usbcore-remove-usb_suspend_root_hub.patch
> > reverted too.
> >
> > Attached is the output of dmesg from the failing case with USB_DEBUG set.
> > It covers two attempts to suspend to disk, the second one being unsuccessful,
> > with reloading the ohci_hcd module in between. [This kernel also has your
> > other patch to prevent the second suspend from failing applied, but it doesn't
> > help.]
>
> Okay. Your problem, and probably Mattia's too, is something other than
> what that recent patch addressed. I can't tell from the dmesg log exactly
> what went wrong, but I can tell you where to look.
>
> In drivers/usb/core/driver.c, resume_device() is not succeeding. That is,
> the lines near the end which do
>
> if (status == 0)
> udev->dev.power.power_state.event = PM_EVENT_ON;
>
> aren't running during the first resume. You can see this in the dmesg
> log; lines 1173-1175 say
>
> usb usb1: resuming
> usbdev1.1_ep00: PM: resume from 0, parent usb1 still 1
> hub 1-0:1.0: PM: resume from 0, parent usb1 still 1
>
> If power_state.event had gotten set to PM_EVENT_ON then the parent state
> would be 0, not 1. This is the source of your problem. During your
> second suspend attempt, usb1 didn't get handled correctly because its
> state was set wrong. (I suspect the mishandling took place in usbcore
> rather than the PM core, but it doesn't matter. The state should not have
> been wrong to begin with.) Consequently its parent device 0000:00:13.2
> refused to freeze, which aborted the suspend attempt.
>
> For the usb1 device, udriver->resume should point to the generic_resume()
> routine in drivers/usb/core/generic.c. In fact, this should be true for
> every device that driver.c:resume_device() sees. But generic_resume()
> simply calls usb_port_resume() in hub.c, and the log doesn't contain any
> of the USB debugging messages that usb_port_resume() would produce. So I
> can't tell what happened.
>
> The patch below will add some extra debugging information. We need to
> find out why the resume didn't succeed. Oh -- and of course, you should
> reinstate all those autosuspend patches. Otherwise this patch won't
> apply!

ok, with USB_DEBUG=y and this is with your first patch still applied
http://oioio.altervista.org/linux/dmesg-2.6.18-rc6-mm1-verbose-usb-try2

this is without it:
http://oioio.altervista.org/linux/dmesg-2.6.18-rc6-mm1-verbose-usb-try3

I hope I'm not mixing thing too much with Rafael :)

Thanks
--
mattia
:wq!