Re: Assignment of GDT entries

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Sep 14 2006 - 00:46:39 EST

"Albert Cahalan" <acahalan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I think that would be a lower chance, not a greater chance.
> Reasons why an app might care:
>
> a. identify a 64-bit kernel
> b. far jumps between 32-bit and 64-bit code
> c. reload of ds/es after a string operation on thread-private data
>
> Perhaps i386 should change to match x86_64.

I agree that the difference is annoying.

However I just wrote a user space implementation of fork that
is capable of copying a process from an i386 only kernel to a x86_64
kernel, and executing there without having to detect the kernel type.

It didn't takes hacks to accomplish that.

The basic syscall is:
int set_thread_area (struct user_desc *u_info);
struct user_desc {
unsigned int entry_number;
unsigned long base_addr;
unsigned int limit;
unsigned int seg_32bit:1;
unsigned int contents:2;
unsigned int read_exec_only:1;
unsigned int limit_in_pages:1;
unsigned int seg_not_present:1;
unsigned int useable:1;
};

If entry_number is -1 the kernel finds a free gdt entry and
sets up the segment and returns with entry_number set to the
segment number.

Eric