Re: Kernel 2.6.18-rc7 Debian

From: Marco Roeland
Date: Thu Sep 14 2006 - 07:21:22 EST

On Thursday September 14th 2006 at 12:11 Jan Dinger wrote:

> [mostly Debian specific]

> Ill compiling my own kernel. i?ve downloaded the archive and unpacked
> the archive.

> #make menuconfug
> success

In general please do not compile the kernel (or anything else) as root,
but under a normal user account. If you, or some scripts, make a mistake
it will be rather costly! Strictly speaking it is not an error, and will
work, but it is a rather dangerous practice.

Under Debian you normally run the "make-kpkg" script with the help of
the "fakeroot" package:

$ fakeroot make-kpkg ...

Only the final install of the generated .deb package needs you to become
root or use "sudo".

> Next i will create my debian-package and will include the new patch.
>
> # make-kpkg kernel_image --revision=jan-1.0 --append_to_version jan-1.0
> --added-patches=patch-2.6.18-rc7

Specifying a revision can indeed be very handy. Do note however that the
revision here has to have a dot (.) but normally absolutely _not_ a dash
(-) in it as you unfortunately did. This will most often lead to problems!

No need for the "--added-patches=" here. You seem to have downloaded
linux-2.6.18-rc7.tar.gz which is a complete version by itself, no need
for additional patches here. If you regularly want or have to try
different kernel versions please check http://www.kernelnewbies.org/FAQ
on information on how to use patches, or try "git", http://git.or.cz .
There are Debian packages for git in 'etch' and for 'sarge' on
http://backports.org.

> The Error: debian/ruleset/misc/patches.mk:104: *** Could not find patch
> for patch-2.6.18-rc7. Stop.

Ok, it could not find the patches. That's because of the superfluous
"--added-patches" in this case.

> My patch is under /usr/src/kernel-patches/patch-2.6.18-rc7.
>
> If i run the process without --added-patches, then i become this error:
>
> ====== making target configure-indep [new prereqs:
> stamp-configure-indep]======
> ====== making target stamp-configure [new prereqs: configure-arch
> configure-indep]======
> Problems ecountered with the version number jan-1.0.
> The upstream version jan does not contain a digit

This is because of the dash (-) in the version number.

> Please re-read the README file and try again.
> exit 2
> make: *** [sanity_check] Error 2

After any error and indeed after succesfully making your .deb package,
please use the 'clean' target before trying again or building a new
package as the README and the man page for make-kpkg could have told
you! ;-)

$ fakeroot make-kpkg clean

> Ich habe read the README and man pages again, but i cannt locate my
> mistake.

So please try, optionally as user 'jan' or something and first using
chown -R jan:jan /usr/src/linux. There is also no need to have this
under /usr/src. You can also have the kernel source files somewhere
under your home directory.

$ fakeroot make-kpkg clean
$ make oldconfig
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --revision jan.1 kernel_image

and it will probably just work.
--
Marco Roeland