Re: [Patch 01/05]- Containers: Documentation on using containers

From: Björn Steinbrink
Date: Fri Sep 15 2006 - 13:44:35 EST

On 2006.09.15 09:45:25 -0700, Rohit Seth wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 08:15 +0200, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > Rohit Seth wrote:
> > > This patch contains the Documentation for using containers.
> >
> > > +5- Remove a task from container
> > > + echo <pid> rmtask
> >
> > echo <pid> > rmtask?
> >

> rmtask is an attribute defined in test_container directory. So, first
> you have to cd into container directory
> (cd /mnt/configfs/containers/test_container and then execute this
> command)

The > is missing in the patch though, guess that's what Rolf wanted to
point out ;)

> > Please also give a short description what containers are for. From what I read
> > here I can only guess it's about gettings some statistics about a group of
> > tasks.
>
> Containers allow different workloads to be run on the same platform with
> limits defined on per container basis. This basically allows a single
> platform to be (soft) partitioned among different workloads (each of
> which could be running many tasks). The limits could be amount of
> memory, number of tasks among other features. These two features are
> already implemented in the patch set that I posted. But it is possible
> to add other controllers like CPU that allows only finite amount of time
> to the processes belonging to a container.
>
> Currently this patch set is only tracking user memory (both file based
> and anonymous). The memory handler is currently deactivating pages
> belonging to a container that has gone over the limit. Even though this
> allows containers to go over board their limits but 1- once they are
> over the limit then they run in degraded manner and 2- if there is any
> memory pressure then the (extra) pages belonging to this container are
> the prime candidates for swapping (for example). The statistics that
> are shown in each container directory are the current values of each
> resource consumption.
>
> Please let me know if you need any more specific information about the
> patch set.

A general description for the containers needs to go into Documentation/
along with the usage example, so that potential users know what to do
with it. The above seems fine, just remove the "this patch" references.

Björn