Re: 2.4.x libata resync

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 12:27:27 EST

Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 11:49:06AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Willy Tarreau wrote:
There are a bunch of small patches in the early 2.6 version which look
like bugfixes, but with non-descriptive comments, so I'm not sure what
they fix. Several of them would apply to 2.4, but I don't want to touch
this area as long as nobody complains about problems.
Oh there are tons of SATA bug fixes that 2.4.x is missing. One of the biggest is the completely crappy exception handling. If a SATA device is unplugged or spazzes out, the system may or may not recover.

Already encountered on sata_nv in a sun x2100 :-)

Jeff, I did not want to blindly merge patches from 2.6 to 2.4, but if
you point me to a few ones you consider important, I'm willing to merge
them.

As was hinted, it's not that easy, otherwise someone would have done it by now. libata bug fixes require infrastructure that isn't present on 2.4. The overall codebase is just too different to easily pull out select bug fixes.

Jeff