Re: + allow-proc-configgz-to-be-built-as-a-module.patch added to -mm tree

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 21:18:26 EST

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 08:48:26PM -0400, rossb wrote:
> >which was
> >>
> >> and that's why a module wasn't allowed.
> >> It's not worth the risk IMO.
>
> The problem is, the patch is basically s/bool/tristate/ so you can't
> really count on /proc/config.gz anyway. It's a lot like security
> through obscurity.
>
> >One hack we could do is make an md5sum or similar of the config and
> >stick that somewhere which is built in and always available (proc or
> >sysfs or something like that); that can be used to validate any config
> >basically to be "correct matching". In fact we could even make it
> >(optionally) part of the VERMAGIC to avoid any kind of mismatch at all.
>
> Not a bad idea, but I think you want to be able to edit your config
> before compiling modules. In particular, you might want to turn
> something from off to module.
>
> How about we embed the md5sum of the config in the kernel, make it
> available via /proc or /sysfs and then have /proc/config.gz return an
> error in the event the md5sum doesn't match?

IMHO this all sounds like overdesigning something that is only a quick
hack that is sometimes handy:

If you don't want to waste kernel memory, set CONFIG_IKCONFIG=n.

If you are building a kernel for a distribution kernel, set
CONFIG_IKCONFIG=n and place the .config in /boot/config-*
(or a similar place).

We don't need a sophisticated well-defined semantics for the case when
the .config changes due to additional modules selected or other special
cases.

> Ross

cu
Adrian