Re: tracepoint maintainance models

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 21:05:37 EST

* Karim Yaghmour <karim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is, actually, no reason to believe that end-users of dynamic
> trace infrastructures are any more tolerant to breakage than, say,
> those of the *old* ltt. [...]

are you saying that if i replaced half of the static markups with
function attributes (which would still provide equivalent functionality
to dynamic tracers), or if i removed a few dozen static markups with
dynamic scripts (which change too would be transparent to users of
dynamic tracers), that in this case users of static tracers would /not/
claim that tracing broke?

i fully understand that you can _teach_ the removal of static
tracepoints to LTT (and i'd expect no less from a tracer), but will
users accept the regression? I claim that they wont, and that's the
important issue. Frankly, i find it highly amusing that such seemingly
simple points have to be argued for such a long time. Is this really
necessary?

(since the rest of your mail seems to build on this premise, i'll wait
for your reply before replying to the rest.)

Ingo