Re: Exporting array data in sysfs

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 10:59:36 EST

On 9/18/06, Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Greg KH wrote:

> > > What is wrong with using an attribute group for this kind of
> > > information?
> >
> > Missing documentation. Yes, this looks like I could use this at least for
> > the simple interfaces (which would be enough).
>
> I imoplemented sysfs arrays and array groups once:
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0503.2/1155.html
>
> Not sure if it still appliers. Maybe Greg will consider taking it in
> if there is a user of this code.

I guess we can add some once it is in :)

It looks good, but I would change some minor things. If there is no read
function given I would return -EIO instead of 0, this is how other places do
it.

Yes, the patch was done when everyone returned 0 instead of -EIO. Also
there is kmalloc->kzalloc conversion, etc.

The limitation to 999 entries should go.

It is not really a limitation but rather a safeguard. Do you really
expect to have arrays with that many attributes?

But otherwise it looks very
similar to what I had in mind.

Thanks.

Eike