Re: [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 13:12:58 EST

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Look at what the patches do. These are not only for hard partitioning
> of memory per container but also those that share memory (eg. you might
> want each to share 100MB of memory, up to a max of 80MB for an individual
> container).

So far I have not been able to find the hooks to the VM. The sharing
would also work with nodes. Just create a couple of nodes with the sizes you
want and then put the node with the shared memory into the cpusets for the
apps sharing them.

> The nodes+cpusets stuff doesn't seem to help with that because you
> with that because you fundamentally need to track pages on a per
> container basis otherwise you don't know who's got what.

Hmmm... That gets into issues of knowing how many pages are in use by an
application and that is fundamentally difficult to do due to pages being
shared between processes.

> Now if, in practice, it turns out that nobody really needed these
> features then of course I would prefer the cpuset+nodes approach. My
> point is that I am not in a position to know who wants what, so I
> hope people will come out and discuss some of these issues.

I'd really be interested to have proper tracking of memory use for
processes but I am not sure what use the containers would be there.