Re: "set_rtc_mmss: can't update from m to n" cluttering my logs

From: Alejandro Riveira FernÃndez
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 09:03:07 EST

El Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:24:31 -0700
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> escribiÃ:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:13:03 +0200
> Alejandro Riveira FernÃndez <ariveira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi, i'm using a 2.6.18-rc7 in an 3880+ X2 AM2 with an uli 1697 chipset
> > and i'm seeing this on the logs
> >
> > Sep 18 12:49:34 localhost last message repeated 17 times
> > Sep 18 12:49:40 localhost last message repeated 3 times
> > Sep 18 12:49:44 localhost kernel: set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 110 to 49
> > Sep 18 12:49:57 localhost last message repeated 8 times
> > Sep 18 12:50:01 localhost kernel: set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 110 to 50
> > Sep 18 12:50:32 localhost last message repeated 17 times
> > Sep 18 12:50:41 localhost last message repeated 4 times
> > Sep 18 12:50:42 localhost kernel: set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 111 to 50
>
> That code hasn't really changed in a long time. Are you able to determine
> approximately which kernel version introduced this problem?

i can no know because i changed hardware with that kernel already
installed :(.

Btw the messages are gone with 2.6.18 final and i suspect that
everything comes down to a buggy bios

[You can ignore the rest of msg it is just a rant]

Sometimes it messes up system date and time forcing fsck in hd's and
other headaches. i see a msg at boot time about bios not reserving
e820 memory and PCI: mmio disabled or something like that. i can not
tell for sure because oddly enough the msg does not end up in logs ??)

> Thanks.

Thanks to you for the time you invested in this useless msg and big
thanks for your work in Linux

---

> All is fine except that I can reliably "oops" it simply by trying to
> read from /proc/apm (e.g. cat /proc/apm).
> oops output and ksymoops-2.3.4 output is attached.
> Is there anything else I can contribute?

The latitude and longtitude of the bios writers current position, and
a ballistic missile.

--Alan Cox LKML-December 08,2000