Re: 2.6.18-mm1

From: Petr Baudis
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 12:55:36 EST

Dear diary, on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 04:47:10PM CEST, I got a letter
where Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said that...
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 04:29:58PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > Dear diary, on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 04:20:06PM CEST, I got a letter
> > where Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said that...
> > > I'm now told that the resulting tree after all the commits is correct.
> > > The problem is that all the files which were supposed to be deleted by
> > > previous patches ended up actually being deleted by the final patch in
> > > the series.
> > >
> > > So the resulting tree is fine, it's just that the history is rather
> > > broken.
> >
> > Well, that rewritehist batch should work fine even in this case.
> >
> > (Of course that's assuming that no change was supposed to happen to
> > those files in the last four days.)
> >
> > > I think a solution to this might be to use git-apply, but there's one
> > > draw back - I currently have the facility to unpatch at a later date,
> > > but git-apply doesn't support -R.
> >
> > Yes, if there's not too many patches perhaps using git-apply -R would be
> > simpler. git-apply in git-1.4.2.1 does support -R.
>
> I'm just experimenting with git-apply for the forward case, and I'm
> hitting a small problem. I can do:
>
> cat patch | git-apply --stat
>
> then I come to commit it:
>
> git commit -F -
>
> but if I just use that, _all_ changes which happen to be in the tree
> get committed, not just those which are in the index file. Manually
> doing each step of the commit is far too much work in perl...

Hmm, I'm sorry but I'm not all that well-versed in git commit inner
workings. The best way to get help is to cc' git@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

According to git-commit documentation, when you do what you wrote you
use, it _should_ commit just the index file...

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/