Re: [git patch] add and use include/linux/magic.h

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 13:08:47 EST

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Along the lines of linux/poison.h, do a similar thing with filesystem
> superblock (and later perhaps, other) magic numbers. This permits
> us to delete several headers which -only- included the superblock
> magic number, and it integrates well with dwmw2's header_check /
> header_install stuff.

Ok, I'm a little worried that somebody might want its own magic number,
but not have its namespace poisoned by other peoples magic numbers (think
some user-level program like "e2fsck"), but I guess it's unlikely to be a
real problem.

Pulled.

One more thing: your "please pull" looks fine, but if you were to also add
the "--summary" argument to the diffstat generation, I'd have seen:

> Please pull from 'magic' branch of
> master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/misc-2.6.git magic
>
> to receive the following updates:
>
> fs/affs/affs.h | 1 -
> fs/affs/super.c | 1 +
> include/linux/smb.h | 3 +--
> include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h | 3 +--

followed by:

delete mode 100644 include/linux/affs_fs.h
delete mode 100644 include/linux/hpfs_fs.h
create mode 100644 include/linux/magic.h
delete mode 100644 include/linux/openprom_fs.h

which is nice. You see which files actually disappear or appear (or are
renamed). Ok?

Linus