Re: [OOPS] -git8,9: NULL pointer dereference in mptspi_dv_renegotiate_work

From: Bryce Harrington
Date: Sat Sep 30 2006 - 17:56:54 EST

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 10:22:50PM -0600, Moore, Eric wrote:
> On Fri 9/29/2006 6:27 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> > Does this look better?
> >
> > http://crucible.osdl.org/runs/2265/sysinfo/amd01.3.console
>

> It appears that the problem is we're not receiving interrupts.
> The first command after interrupts enabled is not getting a response
> back from firmware, thus timing out. I noticed in the log its
> saying interrupt is at 185, but apparently the INT line is not getting
> raised.
>
> In addition, I understand why the panic. You've compiled the drivers
> into the kernel, instead of module. i.e. if you compiled as module,
> mptspi wouldn't been called while mptbase is loaded, as in your case.
> I guess we would need to add sanity check for that case. I'm usually
> testing as modules.

Ah, that could explain it; when doing testing we do compile everything
in. So it sounds like we could eliminate the panic by compiling as a
module, however is it intended that the driver should work when compiled
in as well? If so, I'd be happy to do additional testing to verify any
fixes worth trying out.

> Besides, we need to undertand why your interrupt controller is not
> generating interrupts.

We typically boot every -mm, -git, -rc and mainline kernel on this
machine, but it's only been relatively recently that this particular
behavior has occurred. Could this suggest that there was a regression
due to recent changes?

Thanks,
Bryce