Re: Kernel 2.6.18 PATA support for sata_promise not working for PDC20378on MSI 865PE-NEO FISR2 motherboard

From: Theo Kanter
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 16:13:28 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Theo Kanter wrote:
Kernel 2.6.18 claims to provide PATA support for sata_promise according to the changelog.
Which changelog? I assure you (a) PATA support for sata_promise is not in 2.6.18, and (b) it implies nothing of the sort in the official kernel changelog on ftp.kernel.org.
Thanks Jeff for a quick response. Well, it is only because http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.18 mentions the following:

Author: Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed May 24 01:43:25 2006 -0400
[libata sata_promise] Add PATA cable detection.
Original patch from Phillip Jordan <phillip.m.jordan@xxxxxxxxx>
Cleanups and fixes by me.

Does this mean something other than that sata_promise actually provides support for PATA or how should I interpret this? Also, with respect to the error messages in my previous messages, could you please advise me about my options? (e.g., wait for a new kernel, etc.)?

Thanks,
Theo