Re: [patch] remove MNT_NOEXEC check for PROT_EXEC mmaps

From: Jeff Dike
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 09:44:30 EST

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:17:59AM +0000, David Wagner wrote:
> To be honest, I still don't think you've answered Arjan's question. Ok,
> so you say it is not a library and not a binary. So what is it that you
> are maping in as executable, and why do you think it is reasonable to
> ask the Linux kernel to allow you to execute it, if it lives on a noexec
> partition?

He mentioned UML as being one thing affected by this. In this case, you
can think of it as generating code in a piece of shared memory and
then executing it. In reality, the code is read from disk rather than
being generated internally, and it's executed in a different process,
so it needs to be MAP_SHARED.

Jeff