Re: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

From: Jean Tourrilhes
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 15:58:24 EST

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:21:46PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The current situation seems to be designed to add the new one and removing
> the old one as a single step. THAT IS BROKEN.

This is not the case, I don't know where you got this
idea. This is a *two* step process with a 6 month interval between the
two steps. This was clearly detailed earlier in this thread.

> The new one and the old one needs to work at the same time, exactly so
> that there's a transition mechanism.

Yes, this is precisely what we have been doing, the two APIs
have been working at the same time for more than 6 months.

> > That's exactly what it hinges on. What is your criteria for
> > removing the old ESSID API. My understanding was 6 months.
>
> But we didn't have 6 months of the new API, did we?

Yes, we had more of 6 months of the new API. Please check the
facts : included April 11th in Gentoo.

> People complained.

Yes, maybe 6 months was two short. That's why I say that we
should give it one or two more months. Maybe we need FC6 to be
released.

> The person you merged through explicitly said that if he had realized what
> you did, he wouldn't have merged.

I did not merge through Jeff.

> Linus

Jean