Re: kexec / kdump kernel panic

From: Steven Truong
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 17:39:27 EST

Hi, Valdis. No, I actually used 2 different kernels for this: one
for system kernel and the other for captured/crash kernel.

System kernel .config file with these options

CONFIG_KEXEC=y
CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x1000000
CONFIG_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y

make; make modules_install; make install

System kernel Grub entry

title CentOS (2.6.18)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18 ro root=/dev/sda3 crashkernel=128M@16M rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.18.img

Crash/captured kernel .config file with these options
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-kdump"
# CONFIG_SMP is not set
CONFIG_KEXEC=y <-------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x1000000
CONFIG_PROC_VMCORE=y

the /boot/vmlinux is found in the linux-2.6.18kdump directory after I
make and make install_modules for the crash kernel.

Am I missing something? Or did I do something wrong? Is my vmlinux ok
or how I go about to obtain an uncompressed ELF image of the crash
kernel?

Thank you for all the helps.
Steven.

On 10/3/06, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 17:18:21 PDT, Steven Truong said:

> /usr/sbin/kexec -p /boot/vmlinux
> --initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.18-kdump.img --args-linux
> --append="root=/dev/sda3 irqpoll init 1"

If the /boot/vmlinux is the one you usually use to boot, that won't work.

Your usual vmlinux is almost certainly linked to load at the 1M line,
and you need a kernel linked to load at the 16M line (as set in crashkernel=).

See the CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START config option, and there's other details
in Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt - it looks like you have most of it right,
except you need to build *TWO* specially configured kernels (your production
one with KEXEC support and a few other things, and then the dump kernel
with a different PHYSICAL_START and a few settings).