Re: kexec / kdump kernel panic

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 18:56:54 EST

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 02:38:53PM -0700, Steven Truong wrote:
> Hi, Valdis. No, I actually used 2 different kernels for this: one
> for system kernel and the other for captured/crash kernel.
>
> System kernel .config file with these options
>
> CONFIG_KEXEC=y
> CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y
> CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x1000000
> CONFIG_SYSFS=y
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y

Valdis, you don't have to enable CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP in your system kernel.
The moment you enable it, by default it thinks that I am the capture kernel
and sets the value of CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START to 16MB (0x1000000) instead
of 1MB (0x100000).

Your procedure seems to be right. Please also paste output of /proc/iomem
in first kernel.

You can find more info on following link.

http://lse.sourceforge.net/kdump/

I am also copying the mail to fastboot mailing list where generally
kexec/kdump discussions take place

Thanks
Vivek