Re: [discuss] Re: Please pull x86-64 bug fixes

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 15:30:36 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
On Thursday 05 October 2006 19:43, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Andi Kleen wrote:
On Thursday 05 October 2006 19:17, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Does this fix the following issue:

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.

100% of my x86-64 boxes, AMD or Intel, print this message. And 100% of them work just fine with MMCONFIG.
No.

But it isn't really a issue. Basically everything[1] will work fine anyways.

[1] Only thing you're missing AFAIK is PCI Extended Error Reporting.
Not really true, I have some cards which have >256 bytes of config space.

Yes for advanced error handling (which we only support in a few drivers
right now) I'm not aware of any card that uses it for anything else. Do you have evidence of that?

I need it to access chip-specific configuration registers on a PCI Express card. It's under NDA so that's all I can say.

This will become more common as PCI Express becomes more common, as well. It's largely only luck that we haven't run into more cases like this. Most PCI-Ex devices, like most PCI devices, just don't need a whole lot of PCI configuration space.

I think this rule is far too drastic for real life.
If you have a better proposal please share. I tried a few others, but none
of them could handle all the buggy Intel 9x5 boards that hang on any
mmconfig access (so the "try the first few busses" check already hangs)

Originally I thought
DMI blacklisting would work, but it's on too many systems for that
(and Linus rightfully hated it anyways). ACPI checks also didn't work.
I don't know of any others.
It's a bit disappointing, since I keep getting brand new boxes with brand new BIOSen, but keep hitting this rule.

A lot of new boxes are actually buggy due to a common Intel reference
BIOS bug. There are also a couple of other quirks there.

I suppose it'll only become better once Windows starts using MCFG.
My proposal is quite simple: "something that works" -- the current solution obviously does not.

If you have a patch that works with all known BIOS bugs (including Mac Mini,
a random Intel 975 board and a Asus AMD K8 board with PCI Express) please share it.

Can you then please share the list of known BIOS bugs?

All I have to do on my machines is work around the disable-mmconfig code, and things start working.

Jeff