Re: make-bogus-warnings-go-away tree [was: 2.6.18-mm3]

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 16:53:56 EST

On Oct 05, 2006, at 06:05:16, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Ingo Molnar wrote:
A small suggestion: to give GCC folks a chance to actually fix this, could we actively annotate these places instead of working them around?

There was a patch posted in the past, mentioned in the thread discussed my #gccbug branch, that permitted annotations with zero code size changes. I think that sort of annotation approach would be preferred. It was something like

#define noinit_warning(x) \
do { (void) (x) = (x); } while (0)

but given my memory, that's probably all wrong.

The simplest way given the current GCC feature-set is:

#ifdef HIDE_GCC_FALSE_POSITIVES
# define correct_init(x) x = x
#else
# define correct_init(x) x
#endif

Then:

int correct_init(arg);
struct some_struct correct_init(foo);

Alternatively if only some struct member has problems and the rest are OK:

struct some_struct foo;
correct_init(foo.bar);

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett