Re: [RFC] PATCH to fix rescan_partitions to return errors properly - take 2

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 18:08:37 EST

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:32:34 -0700
Suzuki Kp <suzuki@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Erik,
>

> Erik Mouw wrote:

> [...]
>

> Thank you very much for the inputs.
>
> As per the discussion I have made the changes to the patch.
>
> This change needs to be implemented in some of the partition checkers
> which doesn't do that already.
>
> Btw, do you think it is a good idea to let the other partition checkers
> run, even if one of them has failed ?
>
> Right now, the check_partition runs the partition checkers in a
> sequential manner, until it finds a success or an error.

This is all important information to capture in the patch changelog: it
covers user-visible changes, it covers user-affecting problems with the
present kernel, it describes the implications of making this change to the
kernel, etc. All important stuff. So could you please send a complete
changelog for this patch?

> * Fix rescan_partition to propagate the low level I/O error.

Not enough ;)

> Signed Off by: Suzuki K P <suzuki@xxxxxxxxxx>

Please use "Signed-off-by:"

This patch had tabs replaced with spaces, despite the fact that it was an
attachment - that's a new one. Please get that fixed up for future
patches, thanks.