Re: [patch 2/3] mm: fault vs invalidate/truncate race fix

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 22:05:53 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:06:21 +0200 (CEST)
Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Fix the race between invalidate_inode_pages and do_no_page.

- In do_no_page() there's a `goto retry' where we appear to have
forgotten to (conditionally) unlock the page.

Hmm, the retry should be gone - it was only there for the
seqlock-ish truncate race code.

- In do_no_page() the COW-break code seem to have forgotten to
(conditionally) unlock the page which it just COWed?

It keeps the 'nopage_page' around and unlocks it at the end.
Last time I looked, this is required because truncate wants to
unmap 'even_cows', so we must hold the pagecache page locked
while instantiating the mapping on the cow page.

- In do_no_page(), the unlock_page() which _is_ there doesn't test
VM_CAN_INVALIDATE before deciding to unlock the page.

It does a conditional lock if !VM_CAN_INVALIDATE based on a
suggestion from Hugh. I don't disagree with that, but it can
go away in the next patch as we won't be calling into
->page_mkwrite (if that callback can be implemented with ->fault).