Why is device_create_file __must_check?

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 00:35:09 EST

I am seeing a bunch of warnings about not checking the return value
from device_create_file() for code like this (from
arch/powerpc/kernel/pci_64.c):

static ssize_t pci_show_devspec(struct device *dev,
struct device_attribute *attr, char *buf)
{
struct pci_dev *pdev;
struct device_node *np;

pdev = to_pci_dev (dev);
np = pci_device_to_OF_node(pdev);
if (np == NULL || np->full_name == NULL)
return 0;
return sprintf(buf, "%s", np->full_name);
}
static DEVICE_ATTR(devspec, S_IRUGO, pci_show_devspec, NULL);

void pcibios_add_platform_entries(struct pci_dev *pdev)
{
device_create_file(&pdev->dev, &dev_attr_devspec);
}

What bad thing could happen if device_create_file fails, other than
that the "devspec" file doesn't appear in sysfs? I don't see how the
error could lead to any null pointer dereference later on or anything
like that. If some bad thing could happen, how do I avert that? If
nothing bad will happen, why does device_create_file have __must_check
on it?

Paul.