Re: SPAM: Re: [rfc] 2.6.19-rc1-git5: consolidation of file backed fault handlers

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 20:47:19 EST

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:09:06PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > \ What: vm_ops.nopage
> > -When: October 2008, provided in-kernel callers have been converted
> > +When: October 2007, provided in-kernel callers have been converted
> > Why: This interface is replaced by vm_ops.fault, but it has been around
> > forever, is used by a lot of drivers, and doesn't cost much to
> > maintain.
>
> but a year is a really long time; 6 months would be a lot more
> reasonable..
> (it's not as if most external modules will switch until it's really
> gone.. more notice isn't really going to help that at all; at least make
> the kernel printk once on the first use of this so that they notice!)

I agree with that. But the printk can't go in until all the in-tree
users are converted. I will get around to doing that once the
interface is firmer.

As for timeframe, I don't have any strong feelings, but 6 months might
only be 1 kernel release, and we may not have got around to putting the
printk in yet ;)