Re: Intel 965 chipset motherboards + SATA

From: Daniel J Blueman
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 12:08:15 EST

Martin Naskovski wrote:
I have an ASUS P5B Deluxe/Core 2 Duo/Intel 965/all SATA (Plextor DVD+
Seagate HD) configuration setup - and as of now, no distribution out there
can install on this configuration.

I found Ubuntu 6.0.6.1 [1] to support all the hardware of my Asus
P5B-VM (uATX variant) w/ Core2Duo E6400 etc out the box, apart from
the JMicron PATA+SATA+eSATA controller; use the southbridge ICH8 SATA
controller instead.

Seems a solid platform, just note that most DDR2-800 memory is spec'd
to run at 2.0v rather than the 1.8v, so be sure to set this in the
BIOS (defaults to 1.8v of course). I was experiencing intermittent,
silent corruption with large changing patterns in memory @ 1.8v, but
fine at 2.0v with my OCZ DDR2-800.

Information on whether this issue has been fixed is, at best, dubious on
various Linux forums.

/Does/ the Linux kernel support this configuration? Can it
install/recognize this hardware configuration?

I'm sorry to ask this question here, but all I need is a correct answer -
I've never posted here to ask questions, but this issue has been bugging
me quite a bit.

--- [1]

http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/6.06/ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-amd64.iso
--