Re: 2.6.18 ext3 panic.

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 12:46:19 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:28:20 +0200
> Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Where can we call
>> journal_dirty_data() without PageLock?
>
> block_write_full_page() will unlock the page, so ext3_writepage()
> will run journal_dirty_data_fn() against an unlocked page.
>
> I haven't looked into the exact details of the race, but it should
> be addressable via jbd_lock_bh_state() or j_list_lock coverage.

Yep, that's what I've been hashing out with Stephen today...

In one of my cases journal_dirty_data has dropped & re-acquired the
bh_state lock and j_list_lock, and journal_unmap_buffer has come along
in the meantime.

So it looks like we are missing some state tests, i.e. buffer_mapped(),
at a couple points after we acquire jbd_lock_bh_state().

-Eric