Re: Strange entries in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone for Thinkpad X60

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 00:26:10 EST

Robert Hancock wrote:
I would expect they wouldn't, otherwise there would be no reason for the BIOS people to set up two thermal zones..

Ah, OK. I misunderstood what thermal zones are.

How do you know they are one for each core? ACPI thermal zones can be anywhere in the machine that needs OS-controlled cooling. Could be the CPU heatsink, voltage regulator, or someplace else.

Right, bad assumption on my part. Is there any way to find out what they might correspond to? /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal has a bunch of temperature-like numbers in them; I guess there should be some correlation between those and the thermal zones.

I think we need more information to decide what is going on here.. what temperatures are registering in the thermal zones when the CPU clock is being limited?

I'll gather a bit more info.