Re: [linux-pm] Bug in PCI core

From: Adam Belay
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 12:30:59 EST

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 17:29 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 16:26 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Ar Gwe, 2006-10-13 am 10:29 -0400, ysgrifennodd Alan Stern:
> > >
> > > Could you resubmit your old patches and include a corresponding fix for
> > > this access problem?
> >
> > And then you can fix the applications it breaks, like the X server which
> > does actually want to know where all the devices are located in PCI
> > space.
> >

> .. but which could equally well mmap the resource from sysfs ;)
>

> also the thing this patch does is ONLY when the device is effectively
> off the bus return -EIO.
> One can argue that -EAGAIN is nicer since it's only a temporary
> condition though....

Yeah, perhaps -EAGAIN would be more appropriate, especially in the power
state transition and BIST cases. An interesting possibility might be to
have the file actually block, although I'm not sure if the O_NONBLOCK
flag or polling for that matter can be supported through the
sysfs/driver-core API.

-Adam