Re: Driver model.. expel legacy drivers?

From: Kevin K
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 21:25:13 EST

On Oct 14, 2006, at 6:51 PM, John Richard Moser wrote:

Microsoft are also being very helpful. They are making it harder and
harder for people to use drivers not microsoft-signed which in turns
pushes up costs for development and as a result encourages more
standardization of driver interfaces to take place.

huh?

My assumption is that vendors may make fewer gratuitious interface changes so the hardware is more likely to work with existing, signed, drivers. If changes aren't made, existing Linux drivers are more likely to work with new revisions of hardware.

My experience in the past for hardware, such as USB based flash memory readers, is that when they came out you seemed to always need a proprietary driver, and Linux drivers needed hints for different readers. It seems better these days, with things like USB keys generally working in both Windows and relatively modern distributions without much effort.llin