Re: ips: scheduling while atomic in 2.6.18

From: Nishanth Aravamudan
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 15:18:10 EST

On 16.10.2006 [01:20:04 +1000], Nick Piggin wrote:
> Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >A server I administer just dumped three scheduling while atomics before
> >(sort of) hanging hard. Still responds to ping, but ssh is now dead and
> >the serial console stopped logging.
> >
> >8-way PIII, 2.6.18 with the 3:1 split. Wanted to get my report out there
> >before I reset the box, though.
>
> Thanks for the report. The messages are caused by this commit (cc'ed
> author):
>
> http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=15084a4a63bc300c18b28a8a9afac870c552abce
>
> Not sure whether they are the cause of your hang, but the from the
> changelog it doesn't look like the commit was strictly a bugfix so you
> could try changing msleep calls in the driver back to MDELAY.

Ah yes, that was what I was going to try next, if I didn't hear back
from anyone :)

I'll let you know if that changes anything. This box has been hanging
for a little while now, on an inconsistent basis -- this was just the
first time I was able to grab these traces. And by hanging hard, I mean
no console, serial or physical, no SysRq, nothing. It's all rather odd.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Nish

--