Re: [Patch 3/3] Driver core: Per-subsystem multithreaded probing.

From: Cornelia Huck
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 11:26:29 EST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:59:28 -0400 (EDT),
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's not quite true. You could acquire dev->parent->sem always, just to
> be certain.

But dev->parent->sem wouldn't be taken in the non-multithreaded path,
so we would change the semantics.

> However USB shouldn't use this form of multithreaded probing
> in any case; it should instead use multiple threads for khubd.

OK, so usb shouldn't request multithreaded probe.

> > but
> > that still results in bus->remove being called without a prior ->probe
> > (but not drv->probe since dev->driver is not set at that time).
>
> How so? We shouldn't call bus->remove if a driver isn't bound.

Eh, yes. I was confused :)

> Some other things were left out of the patch. Since we can no longer know
> whether any drivers will get bound at all, device_attach() should now
> return void.

But device_bind_driver() may still return an error, if creating the
links failed.

--
Cornelia Huck
Linux for zSeries Developer