exported module symbols and warnings

From: Scott Baker
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 14:35:36 EST

Hello,

I'm developing a pair of kernel modules. One module needs to export a
symbol that will be used by the second module. I'm doing this by using
EXPORT_SYMBOL(MySymbol) in the first module and declaring the symbol
as extern in the second module. It works fine.

However, there are a couple of warnings that I'm trying to clean up.
The first is when building the second module (the one that uses the
symbol). It is: "*** Warning: "MySymbol" [filename] undefined!"

The second warning occurs when insmod'ing the second module. It is:
"no version for "MySymbol" found: kernel tainted."

Can someone point me in the right direction? The modules are behaving
fine, but the warning messages are a bit unsightly.

I'm running RHEL4, kernel version 2.6.9-42.

Thanks,
Scott