Re: kernel BUG in __cache_alloc_node at linux-2.6.git/mm/slab.c:3177!

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 19:37:53 EST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Will Schmidt wrote:

> This is output from 2.6.18-rc2. MemFree, MemTotal, MemUsed still
> wrong. Node0 slab is still zero. I've also attached the numa=debug
> boot log from this boot, in case it has any clues that were missing from
> the other boot log.

It looks as if node 0 is allready full on bootup. The new code in 2.6.19
controls locality in a more strict form in the slab. 2.6.18 and earlier
were able to tolerate if a request for a page from the slab allocator for
node 0 returns memory on node1 even if node 1 has not been bootstrapped
yet. But this resulted in a problem in the slab because the node lists
dedicated for node 0 now had memory from node 1 in it (which led to
latency problems since slab code subsequently assumes that node local
memory is very fast, which with corrupted per node lists is no longer
true.).

You must bootstrap on a node that has memory available. If you would
bootstrap the slab on node 1 that would work.

> Node 0 MemTotal: 229376 kB
> Node 0 MemUsed: 229376 kB

^^^^^ This node should not be full!!!

Increase memory on node 0 so that the slab can bootstrap.