Re: Linux ISO-9660 Rock Ridge bug needs fix

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 11:10:57 EST

Joerg.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

> > > Using the inode field from RRip 1.12 is definitely not trivial as it may affect
> > > many parts of the source and needs intensive testing.
> >
> > Yes. If it is actually correct it allows for the use of iget_locked()
> > in isofs/inode.c instead of iget5_locked() (per
> > Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt). Though I'll let a real VFS person
> > decide if that has any advantages.
>
> This is not true, the inode number is not sufficient to identify a file.
>
> But if you are not a fs expert, you should not continue....
>
> Making this change work for trivial cases will take an hour, making it work
> for the non-obvious cases may take more than a week.

The full set of feature enhancements for Linux was to also provide "inode
numnbers" in vanilla ISO-9660 mode and to add a fingerprint into the image so
that the kernel is able to detect this.

Implementing support for the new inode features is supporting this mkisofs
fingerprint as well as full testing and modifying the inode cache and NFS
export code. For Solaris I am ready now and the code will appear soon in an
official OpenSolaris source......

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin