RE: kernel oops with extended serial stuff turned on...

From: Kilau, Scott
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 18:35:37 EST

Hi Greg,

> I don't understand, what problem is occuring here? Who is trying to
> register with sysfs twice?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

The original warning/error he gets is:

> kobject_add failed for ttyM0 with -EEXIST, don't try to register
things
> with the same name in the same directory.

Presumably this means that "ttyM0" was already registered with
sysfs/udev already...

In my out-of-tree driver's case, I used to use "TTY_DRIVER_NO_DEVFS" as
a flag.

When that flag went away, I did not put in "TTY_DRIVER_DYNAMIC_DEV" by
mistake,
and I got the same error as Greg C.
I had to push in "TTY_DRIVER_DYNAMIC_DEV" to fix my problem...

I don't know much (anything) about the isicom.c driver, so maybe I am
reading
something into that error that shouldn't be read into it...

Scott