RE: kernel oops with extended serial stuff turned on...

From: Kilau, Scott
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 06:58:50 EST

Hi Jiri,

Well, what I did in my drivers was the following:

1) Went to TTY_DRIVER_DYNAMIC_DEV.
2) Changed the "name" I use for my ttys from something generic like ttya0, ttyb0, etc,
to a more specific name of "drivername_tty0", "drivername_tty1", etc, etc.
(ie, in this case, isicom_tty0, isicom_tty1, etc)
3) Added the "tty_register_device()" to my driver to register those "extended" names.
4)Created special UDEV rules to look for <drivername>_tty*, and rename them
to something more common, ie, ttya0, ttya1, etc, etc.

This still doesn't *truly* fix the problem, because UDEV could still run into conflicts on
the renaming, but at least the problem moves from kernel space to user space...

Presumably we could "script" around the duplicate id problem in a UDEV script.
(ie, Maybe if "ttyM0" is already out there, move to "ttyN0" instead.)

Forgive me if this email looks a little choppy, I am coming down with the flu,
and don't really feel too well today...

Scott