Re: kernel BUG in __cache_alloc_node at linux-2.6.git/mm/slab.c:3177!

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 18:24:18 EST

Christoph Lameter writes:

> Could you confirm that there is indeed no memory on node 0?

There is about a gigabyte of memory on node 0.

> The expectation to have memory available on the node that you
> bootstrap on is not unrealistic.

What exactly does "available" mean in this context? The console log I
posted earlier showed node 0 as having an active PFN range of 32768 -
278528 (245760 pages, or 960MB), and then showed a "freeing bootmem
node 0" message, *before* we hit the BUG.

If "available" doesn't mean "there are active pages which have been
given to the VM system via free_all_bootmem_node()", what does it
mean?

Paul.