Re: dealing with excessive includes

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 21:22:28 EST

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:42:58AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > /*+
> > * Provides: struct sched
> > * Provides: total_forks, nr_threads, process_counts, nr_processes()
> > * Provides: nr_running(), nr_uninterruptible(), nr_active(), nr_iowait(), weighted_cpuload()
> > */
>
> That's ugly. If it needs that i don't think it's a good idea.
> We really want standard C, not some Linux dialect.

Um, that's a comment. It's standard C.

> In theory it is even to do it automated without comments
> just based on the referenced symbols, except if stuff is hidden in macros
> (but then the include defining the macro should have the right includes
> anyways). Another issue would be different name spaces - if there is both
> typedef foo and struct foo and nested local foo a script might have a little trouble
> distingushing them, but i suspect that won't be a big issue.

Sorry, I assumed you'd've spent some time thinking about the problem.

Here's the problem. If a file needs canonicalize_irq(), it should
include <linux/interrupt.h> (which eventually ends up including
asm/irq,h), and not <asm/irq.h> (where it's defined).
If a file needs add_wait_queue(), it should include <linux/wait.h>
(where it's defined) and not <linux/fs.h> (which directly includes
linux/wait.h>.

Please define an algorithm which distinguishes the two cases.