Re: dealing with excessive includes

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 04:34:40 EST

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > This needs annotations to fix, or a big bag of unreliable heuristics.
>
> Ok you're right that case would need annotations.

Annotations are a different thing. Personally, I don't like adding them.

> I retreat my earlier statement that self sufficient include files
> are a good idea. If it needs such hacks to do it it's probably not worth
> it. After all it won't fix a single bug.

- It will fix bugs of the type: add #include <x.h> to y.c because on some
architectures x.h isn't automatically pulled in by z.h.

- It would help in cleaning up the zillions of includes in the .c files,
decreasing compile time.

- It would make it easier for developers, since if you need something, you
just have to explicitly include the header file that defines it, and not
have to find out the hard way what other stuff to include.

I agree, that's not that many `real bugs'.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds