Re: PAE and PSE ??

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 06:15:04 EST

On Monday, 23 October 2006 01:37, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sunday, 22 October 2006 08:29, Sandeep Kumar wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I have read in UTLK by bovet that the linux kernel does not uses the
> >> PSE bit on an x86
> >> machine. Then how come we have the hugetlbfs, which provides support
> >> for 4MB pages ?
> >
> > AFAIK, PSE is only used when PAE is not set and then it enables the 4 MB
> > pages. If PAE is set, the 4 MB pages are impossible because there are only
> > 512 entries per page table, but 2 MB pages can be used instead (and you don't
> > need to set PSE to use them).
> >

> You're wrong.
>
> PSE refers to 4 MB pages when PAE is not used, and 2 MB pages when PAE
> is used.
>
> In theory, you could have PAE without PSE, which would only support 4K
> pages.

Well, "AMD64 Architecture Programmerâs Manual" says the following:

The choice of 2 Mbyte or 4 Mbyte as the large physical-page size
depends on the value of CR4.PSE and CR4.PAE, as follows:
- If physical-address extensions are enabled (CR4.PAE=1), the
large physical-page size is 2 Mbytes, regardless of the value
of CR4.PSE.
- If physical-address extensions are disabled (CR4.PAE=0)
and CR4.PSE=1, the large physical-page size is 4 Mbytes.
- If both CR4.PAE=0 and CR4.PSE=0, the only available page
size is 4 Kbytes.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
R. Buckminster Fuller