Bug causing problems with USB KVM switch

From: Jason Pool
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 05:41:20 EST

I'm having problems with my IOgear USB KVM switch. I am running on a Athlon XP with an Abit NF7 nForce2 motherboard. Using Kubuntu 6.10 with stock kernel 2.6.18.1 and Ubuntu kernel 2.6.17-10-generic with the KVM plugged in, I get this in /var/log/messages every few seconds:

Oct 29 02:53:28 zanzibar kernel: [ 105.489309] usb 1-1.1: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7

This c auses my USB keyboard to temporarily become unresponsive, and also makes the last key typed when being reset stick leading to "tyinnnnng lkeee thssssssss". The problem goes away with the keyboard plugged directly into the machine without the KVM, and my USB mouse seems unaffected either way.

I tried installing Fedora Core 6, and the installer and installation gave me the same trouble, as well as the gparted 0.3.1 boot cd. This has only been a problem recently, Ubuntu 6.06 gave me no problems (a version of 2.6.15), so I reverted to a Debian 2.6.16 kernel to see how that went, and it works fine.

Some change in 2.6.17 (or possibly later in 2.6.16) seems to have started this problem for me.

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried to leave the relevant information, but as its late(early?) and I'm about to zonk out, I may have forgotten something. I'd be more than happy to provide any additional information if needed.