Re: -W -Wno-unused -Wno-sign-compare compile flags

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 11:40:18 EST

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:22:48 +0300, predator@xxxxxx said:
> Hello !linux-kernel
>
> Does anybody try to compile latest linux-kernel with -W
> -Wno-unused -Wno-sign-compare CFLAGS? There is a tons of
> warnings :(
> Recent versions of grsecurity patches adds this flags to
> default. When I asked to grsec developers, why did they do
> that, they answered: to show, how messy linux code is...
> Is there any objections about it?

I'd recommend attacking this one flag at a time - so for instance,
do up a series of patches that cleans up the -Wno-unused warnings, and
get that merged. Then get a series for -Wno-sign-compare, and finally
a patch that adds -W.

While you're at it, look at these flags as well:

-Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wcomment -Wendif-labels -Wshadow

(The tree is pretty clean for the first 3, cleaning it for the last will
take some work...)