Re: why test for "__GNUC__"?

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 22:38:54 EST

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 12:37:36PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 04:17:51PM +0000, Oleg Verych wrote:
> > > On 2006-10-29, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > And if you can, please, help with development or bugs, not this.
> >
> > Cleanup of the kernel source is also a valuable task (and as a side
> > effect it even sometimes finds bugs).
>
> on that note, i realize that most of my postings are addressing
> nitpicky/aesthetic issues that don't actually *hurt* anything, but for
> someone who's clawing his way through the kernel code for the first
> time, a lot of it is unnecessarily confusing.
>
> for better or worse, i generally assume that whatever i'm looking at
> is there for a *reason* and i might spend some time puzzling over a
> bit of code until it finally dawns on me that it's just historical
> cruft that has no value. it's not a bug, it just doesn't *do*
> anything anymore.
>
> in my case, it's sometimes easier to spot things like this since i'm
> following along in some book, like r. love's "linux kernel
> development." so when he writes that the linux kernel is wedded to
> gcc, and yet i see tests for "__GNUC__" throughout the code, my little
> antenna stalks perk up a bit.

Looking at it, it seems I might look through them - some of them seem to
be really pointless.

> in any event, i'm most emphatically *not* (yet) at the level where i'm
> going to be able to contribute bleeding-edge code. but i'm certainly
> capable of poring over the *existing* code and pointing out the places
> that might lead someone to mutter, "what the hell...?"
>
> maybe there's a better forum for me to make these observations. i'm
> open to suggestions. i've made a list of these observations and i'd
> be happy to send them to the right person.

There's also the kernelnewbies list.

But your emails are not as bad as you think - the email starting this
thread as well as your earlier emails regarding menu structure etc. have
some value (and they are better than many other questions that hit
this list...).

> rday

cu
Adrian