Linux Freezes during disk IO on Asus M2NPV-VM nVidia chipset - raid0 related?

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 13:10:38 EST

Trying to track down my remaining lockup problem with Linux using my first AMD AM2 motherboard. It's been a nightmare, but it's getting better. but I think it might be a Linux bug. But I have some specific info that might lead to something.

This motherboard use nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset
The computer seems to only freeze up during disk IO - specifically when downloading using rsync.
It also seems to lock up when writing data to a RAID 0 EXT3 filesystem. I'm using software raid.

I'm currently running the stock Fedora Core 6 kernel based on 1.6.18.1

After several lockups I tried reformatting the partition to see if perhaps the data was so screwed up that it was the problem. The reformat didn't fix it.

It also seems that when it does crash that recovery isn't as clean as it usually is. It seems that I have to run e2fsck manually more often than usual and that it find more things to fix. Other drives that are not part of raid seem to not have this issue.

I hope this is enough information to help track this down.