Re: Linux 2.6.19-rc4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 10:55:53 EST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> That didn't go so well. I guess the below was intended, but I wonder if
> we actually merged the correct patch?

Gaah.

And I have SYSFS enabled, so I should have seen this warning.

But I've become innoculated against warnings, just because we have too
many of the totally useless noise about deprecation and crud, and ppc has
it's own set of bogus compiler-and-linker-generated warnings..

At some point we should get rid of all the "politeness" warnings, just
because they can end up hiding the _real_ ones.

"pm_register is deprecated" etc - I get almost a hundred lines of warnings
in my default build (and half of those are sadly due to powerpc binutils,
that I can't do anythign about: "section .init.text exceeds stub group
size" etc, which is harmless _other_ than the fact that it helped hide the
real warnings just because I've grown too used to not looking too
closely).

Linus