Re: 2.6.19-rc <-> ThinkPads

From: Len Brown
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 22:19:04 EST

The BIOS disables the LAPIC for a reason.
A couple of years ago Linux made the mistake of enabling the LAPIC
that the BIOS disabled, and all hell broke loose.
We fixed that bug about a year ago, but left "lapic"
to force it on for those where forcing it to be enabled actually
works (eg. some folks want the NMI profiling on their IOAPIC-less laptop)

But if you force the lapic to be enabled, you are running the system
in a mode not supported by the manufacturer and you are on your own.

I don't see an indication that this is a bug.
If it used to work and it is important to you,
then run the old software where it used to work --
because chances are good that it worked by accident.

-Len