Re: Simple module for 2.6 request?

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 04:51:03 EST

>how to by hand build a module.

Compilation has too many flags and too many steps to be reasonably done
by hand. Unlike *cough* BSD or Solaris, the Linux kernel makefile system
is designed to reasonably support external modules using all the
necessary parameters the kernel you are compiling for needs. You know, I
always get a shudder when I have to think of Solaris not having
MODVERSIONS or even VERMAGIC -- it is dangerous because it allows you to
build stuff that can fubar more easily.

>gcc -o foo.c -ko foo.ko -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
>-I/usr/src/kernel-headers-directory/include/

gcc: unrecognized option '-ko'

>How to add them by hand (not using all the big Makefiles normally
>included in kernel tree)?

Who said they are big? Look at
http://jengelh.hopto.org/f/oops_ko.tar.bz2 for a _really_ simple module.

-`J'