Re: [rfc patch] i386: don't save eflags on task switch

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 23:18:07 EST

Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:09:42AM -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
Every processor I've ever measured it on, popf is slower. On P4, for example, pushf is 6 cycles, and popf is 54. On Opteron, it is 2 / 12. On Xeon, it is 7 / 91.

pushf has to wait until all flag dependancies can be resolved. On the P4 with >100 instructions in flight, that can take a long time. Popf on the other hand has no dependancies on outstanding instructions as it resets the machine state.

Yes, but as Linus points out popf is most likely microcoded, thus much slower. Flag dependency is not unique to pushf, many much more common instructions (adc, jcc, sbc, cmovcc, movs, stos, ...) have flag dependencies, which can still be pipeline forwarded. I think the raw cycle counts speak for themselves, despite the fact that I only measured instruction latency, not throughput. Using a branch to eliminate a pushf is thus probably not a win in most cases.

Zach